Where Am I Now?

It seems only very recently that I was being asked questions about my future career as a games programmer. Where do you envision yourself? What roles do you wish to pursue? What do you need to do between now and then to get there? It came as a quite a shock once I realised only a single trimester remains between now and graduation, so this is probably a good time to do some self reflection. If you recall some of my previous posts, my primary interest is and always will be in graphics. Something I hadn't expected however, was that this would be followed by network programming. A once dark and mysterious area that I never seen myself having a liking for, until I tried it of course.

I've also had enough web experience to feel confident in that area, having developed numerous websites as a hobby for myself and the occasional client. I've also found that I don't mind working on projects other than games, what I enjoy is the problem solving and the reward of having accomplished something. As such, I've become very open to the idea of employment by companies that aren't game developers. Eventually I would prefer to find myself in a position where I can be working on projects as a graphics programmer, whether in the games industry or not. Right now my priority is gaining experience, so exposure to the development of other software would be beneficial and is something I welcome.




Having a quick look at job requirements on websites such as SEEK, reveal two important facts relevant to someone looking for employment such as myself. First of all, jobs as a game programmer are limited in comparison to positions for development of web or data driven applications for example. Secondly, a surprisingly large number of software companies tend to look highly upon those with or completing an actual game programming degree. It seems that having that extra exposure and understanding of mathematical concepts is desired, particular when it is able to be applied practically as is the case with games development. I personally found this quite reassuring, as it allows me to branch out in other directions and consider opportunities that I hadn't previously.

Comments

Popular Posts