Where am I going.

This is a follow on from my last post, discussing what I need to do and where I plan to take myself from here. More specifically, how I will be going about this and what has influenced my decisions leading up to this point. To reiterate, as I've mentioned my plan for the moment is to gain industry experience whether that be for a games company or not. Being completely honest, I would rather work for a company not in games for the sake of growing my skills in other areas for now. This will allow me to get a feel for software development in a more general sense, even if it's just work processing data. After a year or two, I will be able to more accurately gauge my preferences and at least have actual industry experience under my belt to coincide with my degree.

Whether I remain in the same position or move on and pursue games development or work as a graphics programmer, is something I will determine when the time comes. Of course this is assuming I'm able to find work right away, or at least within the next few months as I near completion of my degree. I have established a portfolio, from a collection of blog posts with some of my more significant projects. I've also written an interactive front end as shown below to go with my blog and portfolio, that serves as a piece in itself for extra brownie points on my resume. For reference you can view my portfolio page here or check out the interactive version here.




Taking a leap back to my first trimester, I had written an essay entitled "Taking a Leap at the Video Game Industry". This was my take on what to expect as a programmer seeking a career in the video game industry. Almost all of what I discovered during my research in writing that paper has stuck with me ever since, influencing many of my career relevant decisions. One notable article that I had cited is So you want to be a video game programmer?. I had also referenced Creative Skillset, detailing what it means to be a programmer in games, what they do, is it the right career choice and what is the best route to take in getting there. Separate pages are available with information for either general Game Programmer's or Lead Programmer's for senior developers.

Most of the knowledge I've come to acquire since then, has been the result of purging through job sites for programming roles such as on SEEK. By doing this I've been able to analyse the current state of the industry and understand what roles are trending, what languages and software companies are wanting their candidates to be competent in and the attributes that they desire for high paying roles. Part of my plan is to familiarise myself with whatever requirements employers are looking for, in the sectors that interest or capture my attention the most. I will also continue to work on personal projects, that I hope may contribute to the industry or least improve my portfolio. I have particular interests in WebGL technologies and real-time ray tracing that I wish to pursue in my spare time.

Comments

Popular Posts